When we think about ways to do a better job of managing our health, the first two that tend to come to mind are improving our diet by eating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and getting more exercise. And there is no doubt that those two steps provide tremendous benefits. However, as a leading Fort Collins senior care provider, we know that there’s another important factor when it comes to avoiding disease and increasing our enjoyment of life — reduction of stress.
Tips for Taming Tension
While a certain amount of stress in our lives is normal and in some cases even helpful, chronic stress can be harmful in a number of ways. One of the most studied is the fact that it elevates the level of the so-called “fight-or-flight” hormone cortisol. Sustained high levels of cortisol have been found to raise blood pressure, increase cholesterol levels, and reduce the body’s ability to fight disease.
Fortunately, there are some simple ways to reduce stress and decrease cortisol levels. They include:
- Caring and connecting. Befriending others or even caring for a pet has been shown to increase the release of oxytocin, a hormone that works in opposition to cortisol and produces feelings of contentment and well-being.
- Laughing. Common sense tells us that having a laugh is good for us, but research is increasingly showing that to be true as well.
- Getting assistance. Sometimes it’s the tasks of daily living that raise your stress level. Having help from a Fort Collins senior care provider can remove some of that burden.
- Meditating. Spending as little as 10 minutes a day focusing on your breathing and clearing your mind can begin to reduce your stress level. And, you don’t need to take a class or read a book to learn the technique. You simply sit and gently return your attention to your breathing each time it strays.
- Listening to music. There’s a reason for the saying that “music soothes the savage beast.” A calming, melodic tune can carry us away from our concerns for a while, helping us relax.
Working Toward a More Worry-Free Life
As a trusted Fort Collins senior care provider, Seniors Helping Seniors can help take away some of the worries from a senior and their family. How can we assist you or your loved one? Contact us today to learn more about our services in a free consultation!
We’re honored to provide quality care for seniors by seniors in Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, Longmont, Johnstown, Berthoud, Ault, Firestone, Wellington, Windsor, Frederick, Laporte, and surrounding areas.