Hearing loss is common as we age. However, if it becomes severe and is left untreated, it can adversely affect quality of life. While an in-home care provider is not a medical professional, they can give family members helpful insights on the state of a senior’s hearing and other faculties.
How to Know if a Senior’s Hearing is Failing
Hearing loss is a condition that family members may find difficult to detect, especially if a senior is quiet by nature and/or family does not see them often. Consequently, an in-home care provider may be among the first to notice these signs of hearing loss:
- Difficulty in communicating by phone
- Watching TV or listening to music at excessively high volume
- Commenting on pain or ringing in the ears, or dizziness
- Problems following conversations when multiple people are involved
- “Tuning out” of conversations occurring in noisy environments
- Frequently asking people to repeat themselves
- Replying to questions in a way that doesn’t correctly answer them
- Believing that other people mumble or don’t speak clearly
- Difficulty understanding people who talk rapidly or who are not facing them
Seniors with significant hearing loss may avoid social events and become withdrawn. This may lead to a diagnosis of possible depression or dementia. Families that notice the changes listed above should arrange for their loved one to see a doctor promptly. The sooner a problem is addressed, the less risk there is of permanent damage.
Fortunately, many kinds of hearing loss can be treated. And, seniors who have their hearing improved find it to be a tremendous relief.
Helping Families be Vigilant About a Senior’s Health
An in-home care provider not only brings helping hands but watchful eyes. Having someone check on a loved one regularly can help ensure that obvious changes in their health are noted and that family members are alerted.
Contact us today to learn more about our offerings in a free consultation! We’re honored to provide quality care for seniors by seniors in Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, Longmont, Johnstown, Berthoud, Ault, Firestone, Wellington, Windsor, Frederick, Firestone, Laporte and surrounding areas.