While it’s easy to recognize the things you should do to take care of a senior in your life, it’s more difficult to see that there are steps you should take to ensure that you stay happy and healthy as well. At Seniors Helping Seniors Fort Collins, we remind loved ones that to be a good caregiver, you have to take care of yourself, too.
A Self-Care Checklist
Here are some ways to tend to your own needs while you are also tending to the needs of a senior in your life:
- Get comfortable asking for assistance. You may have a strong desire to take care of everything your loved one wants and needs. But doing that can wear you out over time. There is nothing wrong with asking family members, friends, and neighbors to pitch in. And, of course, Seniors Helping Seniors Fort Collins should be on that list as well.
- Stay active. Exercise is good for body, mind, and soul. Be sure that you find time for regular activity, whether that’s a vigorous workout or a nice relaxing walk.
- Be prepared to share tasks. When people ask, “Is there anything we can do to help?” as they often do, you should be prepared with a list of tasks from which to select one or more to hand off.
- Stay future focused. Interpersonal conflict is a part of being a friend or family member. Don’t waste valuable time and energy rehashing old issues. Do your best to stay focused on the days ahead and how you and the senior you’re caring for can best enjoy them.
- Streamline communications. There are many online tools available for simplifying the way you interact with a loved one’s medical team and also family and friends. Be sure to take advantage of them.
- Keep a gratitude journal. When you are busy caring for someone it can be hard to find time to be thankful. But studies show that gratitude has powerful mental and emotional benefits. Just a few minutes of positive reflection before you go to bed can be very helpful.
Your Needs are Important, Too
At Seniors Helping Seniors Fort Collins, we applaud you for being a dedicated caregiver. But don’t forget that your needs are important, too. Take the time you need to tend to your own mental, emotional, and physical health on a regular basis. We’re here to help when you need us! To learn more about our services, contact us for a free consultation today!
We’re honored to provide quality care for seniors by seniors in Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, Longmont, Johnstown, Berthoud, Ault, Firestone, Wellington, Windsor, Frederick, Laporte, and surrounding areas.