Dementia and Alzheimer's disease are medical conditions that require the attention of a physician. However, as a leading provider of care for seniors, we know that many people who don’t necessarily have those conditions nevertheless start to be a little more forgetful as they age. Thankfully, there are a number of things you can do to help offset any decline in memory that you may experience.
Strategies to Help with Failing Recall
Here are some things you can do to stay on top of tasks, remember appointments and ensure you are safe in your home:
- Use pill boxes or an automated medication dispensing system to remind you to take your medication.
- Consider cooking more with the microwave than the stove, as accidentally leaving the stove on is a serious fire risk.
- Never leave the room when filling the sink or bathtub, as getting distracted in another room can lead to flooding.
- When grocery shopping, make a list even if you only have a few items to pick up. This ensures you get everything you need and don’t have to make a second trip.
- Avoid burning candles, as forgetting them and leaving them unattended can be dangerous.
- For more complex tasks around the house, write detailed notes as you perform them the first time, then keep the notes handy for use the next time.
- Be sure you have printed copies of all the documents you have on your computer. This is important in case you accidentally delete them.
- Put important items like keys, wallet, sunglasses etc. in the same place every time you return home. Make it a practice to always have your keys in your hand when you leave home. That way you won't lock yourself out. It’s also a good idea to give a family member or trusted friend a copy of your house key just in case.
- Put sticky note reminders around the house as needed to remind yourself about important tasks, appointments etc.
- As much as possible, take action on things that come to mind immediately rather than hoping you’ll remember them later. Not only does it ensure they get done, it removes the stress of trying to keep them top of mind.
Compassionate Care for Seniors
At Seniors Helping Seniors, our caregivers understand the challenges associated with failing memory and provide compassionate reminders about important tasks and safety considerations to the seniors they work with. Contact us today to learn more about our offerings in a free consultation! We’re honored to provide quality care for seniors by seniors in Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, Longmont and Johnstown. We also serve Berthoud, Ault, Firestone, Wellington, Windsor, Frederick, Firestone, Laporte and surrounding areas.