Alzheimer’s disease causes memory loss, confusion and personality changes, among other symptoms. Unfortunately, the disease cannot be cured. However, there are a number of treatable conditions that produce symptoms much like those of Alzheimer’s. Thankfully, there is hope for family and friends when a senior begins to exhibit signs of dementia that perhaps some other illness is to blame. At Seniors Helping Seniors in Fort Collins, our senior caregivers are not medically trained, but they do report changes in a senior’s appearance and behavior when they observe them, which can help loved ones know that they should consult a doctor.
Same Symptoms, Different Cause
Here are some conditions that may mimic Alzheimer’s but that can be treated, especially if caught early:
- Depression - Depression can result in memory problems, inability to focus, sleep disturbances (too much or too little sleep) and withdrawal from social activities.
- Thyroid disease - The thyroid affects how the body utilizes food. If a person has an overactive or underactive thyroid, it can impact their mental and emotional well-being.
- Diabetes - If diabetes is not controlled and a person’s blood sugar gets too low, they can experience hypoglycemia, which includes impaired coordination impaired and difficulty performing even simple tasks.
- Lyme disease - Caused by the bite of a tick that carries a certain kind of bacteria, Lyme disease can impact short-term memory and leave a person feeling foggy and disconnected.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency - The body needs B12 to make things like red blood cells and nerve fibers. If a person isn’t getting enough, they may feel disoriented and confused.
- Certain medications - There are a number of medications that can cause memory loss, irritability, confusion, lack of energy and other symptoms.
These are just a few of the many things that may look like Alzheimer’s disease but aren’t. As we tell our Seniors Helping Seniors Fort Collins families, the key is to have a senior see their doctor if any dementia-like symptoms appear.
The Value of Regular Visits
At Seniors Helping Seniors Fort Collins, we stress that early illness detection in seniors makes it easier to keep a condition from worsening. Being a caring observer in the home is just one of the many ways we help seniors and their loved ones. Please contact us today to learn more about our services in a free consultation!
We’re honored to provide quality care for seniors by seniors in Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley, Longmont, Johnstown, Berthoud, Ault, Firestone, Wellington, Windsor, Frederick, Firestone, Laporte and surrounding areas.